Hydraulic hoses of any type must meet very stringent standards to adapt to the pressure levels, loads, and sometimes contorted positions demanded of them. Few engineering components are expected to withstand the forces within and be flexible enough to bend or reach at varying angles to perform heavy-duty functions.
In simplest terms, a hydraulic system is one that uses highly pressurized hydraulic fluids to create mechanical output such as lifting, stamping, or forging. Hydraulics are commonly used for excavators and backhoes, wing flaps on airplanes, lifting equipment like jacks and wheelchair lifts, and much more.
Standard industrial hoses are not suitable for use in hydraulic systems. Hydraulic hoses, as part of an enclosed system, must be able to withstand average internal pressures averaging 3000 psi and withstand extreme temperatures.
Standards for Hydraulic Hoses
SAE, the standard-setting organization of engineers, has set standards for hydraulic hoses. Since these components are essential to efficient operations and, in many situations, human safety, hoses must meet specific requirements for a hydraulic system. SAE J517 provides general, dimensional, and performance specifications for hydraulic hoses in mobile and stationary systems.
The typical hose is composed of three layers. These include the inner tube, a reinforcing middle layer, and a protective outer layer.
The design and material used for the inner layer must be engineered to the level of flexibility required and the type of fluid to be used. Typically, the inner layer is produced from a form of synthetic rubber, thermoplastic, or a PTFE material.
The middle layer which largely determines the strength is made from coiled wire or a textile braiding that allows flexibility, yet is strong enough to withstand the extreme pressures of a hydraulic system at work.
The outer layer is a material that protects against foreign matter, extreme weather, abrasive tools, and sharp objects.
Fittings that attach the hydraulic hose to its source and destination must be sufficient to manage extreme pressure as well.
5 Types of Hydraulic Hoses
While there are more types and applications of hoses, the five listed here are a cross-section of specific components, uses, and capabilities:
- SAE Standard Hose: SAE 100R1 is a high-pressure hose is used with petroleum or water-based fluids designed to power general industrial applications. The hose is single steel, wire-braided tubing that will operate in temperatures ranging from -40°C to 100°C.
- Standard High-Pressure Hose: These hoses are flexible and used to transporting mineral and hydraulic oils and water-oil emulsions. They are in demand for the mining and oil industries, construction, and agriculture.
- Low-Pressure Hose: Textile-braided and highly flexible, these hoses are employed in lighter applications such as return lines, anti-static delivery lines, and air or lube lines. Low-pressure lines are not suitable for braking or other safety-related applications.
- Steel Wire-Braided Hose: Either single or double wire-braided and extra durable, these hoses are used to transport fluids under extreme pressures, temperatures, and even a vacuum. These hoses are used in oilfields, mining, and heavy industrial applications.
- Thermoplastic Hydraulic Hose: Useful for heavy construction, hydraulic lift equipment, and lubrication lines, the thermoplastic hoses are resistant to abrasion and can operate at very low temperatures. Both the inner and outer layers consist of a thermoplastic material while the middle layer reinforces with a synthetic fiber mesh.
Choosing the Right Hose
Hydraulic hoses might be at the core of your operation. Breakdowns can be expensive. Determining the best ones for your pressure capacity, durability, flexibility, abrasion resistance, temperature exposure, and the material to be conducted usually requires complex engineering considerations.
TCH Industries: Hose, Fitting, & Sealing Experts
In technical and industrial situations, a highly trained and certified professional from TCH Industries can come on-site to assess your situation and offer recommendations for process improvement that will enhance the flow and flexibility of your systems.
TCH Industries has been a leading supplier of top-quality hoses for hydraulic applications for over three and a half decades. By partnering with world-class suppliers of hoses and fittings of every type, TCH has developed a top reputation for quality, reliability, exceptional service, and professionalism.
To learn more about hoses and their application and inspection, visit the TCH Industries website at https://tchindustries.wpengine.com/. If you wish to receive a quote from TCH Industries for new hoses and accessories, please complete the easy-to-use online form that requests information about your needs in a simple questionnaire.
Best yet, for easy-to-understand answers from the hose pros at TCH, the solution is to visit in person the TCH Hose Center at 2307 East Aurora Road, Twinsburg OH, only 25 miles from the heart of Cleveland.